[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Fri Oct 1 18:39:40 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 03:59 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:43:13 -0400, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>
> > SO IMHO, this is what we should seek if we want to survive. Gathering
> > contributions should be one of our goals.
>
> In my opinion, Magiea's primary market should be linux developers,
> since they are the people who can contribute the most.  It should
> also target people who want to use the distribution used by the people
> who are actually developing the tools.

The biggest strength of Mandriva, and the reason I use(d) it, is/was
that it targets both developers *and* people new to Linux.

When I speak at conferences, people often ask me what operating
environment I'm using, and when I tell them, they say, "oh, should
I give it a try?" -- in most cases I can say, Yes.

The Free Software Movement is about changing people's habits, getting
them to use Free (libre) software. So targeting Windows, Mac and
non-computer people is an important part of that.

Best,

Liam