[Mageia-dev] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Sinner from the Prairy sinnerbofh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 21:30:01 CEST 2010

Fabrice Facorat wrote:

> 2010/10/1 Romain d'Alverny
> <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
(...)
>> Both (substance, appearance) are crucial. If you only consider one
>> without balancing, making it consistent with the other, you're not
>> going down the right path. The interface, the whole experience with it
>> is the product.
>
> sure, but appearance is the key point.
>
> Archos is a good example of what we should not do ...
>
> I'm still amazed by the technicals limits of the iPhone, and how
> people can still want to buy them ... same for iPod ...
>
> iPod : no mp3, no FM radio, no USB mass storage support
> iPhone : no standard visio, no ability to create without iTunes or
> third party tools photo albums, less capable facebook integration, no
> FM radio, no flash,  and so on ...

iProducts don't have all the bullet points, all the technical specs that an
UberGeek would like.

But the ones they have: work great, are integrated with the rest of the
ecosystem, are user-friendly and they are aesthetically pleasant.

By focusing on 90% of specs and getting them to be 95% perfect, instead of
having 100% of specs and getting them to be just 50% workable, regular
people (95% of the population) like their products.

Apple's approach mimics the Unix philosophy (every small tool covers a task
extremely well, and integrates with the rest of the Unix system): every
single technical bullet point included does a task extremely well with the
rest of the tools and look'n'feel.

Mandriva tries that, with look'n'feel consistent on MCC, KDE and Gnome.
draketools work on TUI or GUI. They work well.

IMHO, Mageia should improve on Mandriva, not try to get just "bullet points"
on what our distro does.

Let's pick our battles, go the Unix way, make sure what Mageia does, it does
very well. And as Linux is Linux is Linux is Linux, it will do everything
else as well (and the kitchen sink).

Salut,
Sinner