[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

Richard Walker richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 3 20:19:09 CEST 2010

But are we always knowledgeable enough to be able to set up the system to
use our choice?

I confess to being a Mandriva Linux user for only 10 years but I have been
an Opera user (and purchaser) for a year or two before that. I ALWAYS have
difficulty when removing Firefox and replacing it with Opera as I can NEVER
find all of the nooks and crannies of the system and various software
packages which presume that Firefox must be available.

I would be much happier to discover that a distribution had taken my
choices seriously enough to check with me during the install and then make
sure that my choice is properly and fully integrated.

Then perhaps we could highlight applications which expect no other browser
than Firefox and proceed to educate their authors/packagers as to the
importance of user choices.

> Majority of users do not want choice.

OK, that may be true, but when one of that majority decides to broaden the
horizons of their browsing experience then will they magically be learned
enough to be able to fix all of the integration issues for themselves? I
suspect not.

An install time selector screen and supporting scripts would be a very good
starting point for a "Change Default Browser" wizard, much as XFDrake tries
to hide the complexities of switching video drivers.

Richard