[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Robert Xu robxu9 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 23:53:02 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 17:38, Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op maandag 04 oktober 2010 21:40:39 schreef Tux99:
>> Quote: yvan munoz wrote on Mon, 04 October 2010 21:33
>>
>> > Drak3d : completly unnecessary today for Compiz (and Metisse seems to
>> > be
>> > on-stop actually, so no reason to maintain especially for it now)
>> > DrakDisk : partitionmanager seems to be not ready, not complete
>> > actually.
>> > gparted and Palimpsest are excellent (especially palimpsest) but
>> > DiskDrak
>> > stay the g best tool i know today
>> > DrakGuard : Absolutly wonderfull, a real "plus-value".
>> > Drakups : unnecessary today ?
>> > Drakfirewall : OK, but maybe integer outpout controll too is a good
>> > idea ?
>> > (and provide effortless arptables and ebtables looks ambitious ?)
>> > DrakSambaShare : initially a community addon from Mr Ginies (it think?)
>> >
>> > really excellent tool too. But maybe unnecessary today (as draknfs)
>> > because
>> > desktop integration (and servers have admin)
>> > Drakbackup and Draksnapshoot : please remove
>> > DrakFax :  unnecessary today (desktop integration)
>> > Drakmenustyle : deprecated
>> > Drackoo : unnecessary today (libreoffice integration)
>> > Drakpxelinux : too strict on paths to be really used by someone who
>> > knows
>> > nothing about pxe and mdk/mdv/mga. Please remove.
>> > Drakvirt : superseeded by Redhat tool.
>> > Draknet* : please keep it. Best tool today (better than networkmanager
>> > for
>> > many thinks, and conman seems to be not finished today.) Ambitious to
>> > have a
>> > knetwaorkmanager port for draknet* ?
>>
>> Well, luckily it's not your decision...
>>
>> I use several of those tools you think can be removed.
>>
>> We should improve and extend the draktools not cut them down!
>>
>> I would really like a draklirc to configure IR remotes, since that's a
>> major pain to do manually (especially the first time), I even was thinking
>> of writing it myself, but never found the time for it so far.
>

> that is a good idea!
>
> also:
> * drakups: for serial upses, a must!
> * drakpxelinux: a must for people who do this, but it does need to be
> redesigned, because PXE installs don't even work anymore out of the box; the
> whole PXE stuff needs to be adjusted, imo.
> * i think people still need drakfax, i heard someone talking about that
> * never used drakvirt, but i hate redhat's tool.

would it be possible to move drakxtools slowly away from perl gtk?
Or at least make perl gtk better (and provide a perlQt implementation?)

Because as far as I'm concerned, if any of these GUIs freeze up, it's
automatically sucky.
Which most of them will do (ex rpmdrake)
(Even though most aren't, but this affects usability very much)

--
later, Robert Xu