[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 23:38:34 CEST 2010

Op maandag 04 oktober 2010 21:40:39 schreef Tux99:
> Quote: yvan munoz wrote on Mon, 04 October 2010 21:33
>
> > Drak3d : completly unnecessary today for Compiz (and Metisse seems to
> > be
> > on-stop actually, so no reason to maintain especially for it now)
> > DrakDisk : partitionmanager seems to be not ready, not complete
> > actually.
> > gparted and Palimpsest are excellent (especially palimpsest) but
> > DiskDrak
> > stay the g best tool i know today
> > DrakGuard : Absolutly wonderfull, a real "plus-value".
> > Drakups : unnecessary today ?
> > Drakfirewall : OK, but maybe integer outpout controll too is a good
> > idea ?
> > (and provide effortless arptables and ebtables looks ambitious ?)
> > DrakSambaShare : initially a community addon from Mr Ginies (it think?)
> >
> > really excellent tool too. But maybe unnecessary today (as draknfs)
> > because
> > desktop integration (and servers have admin)
> > Drakbackup and Draksnapshoot : please remove
> > DrakFax :  unnecessary today (desktop integration)
> > Drakmenustyle : deprecated
> > Drackoo : unnecessary today (libreoffice integration)
> > Drakpxelinux : too strict on paths to be really used by someone who
> > knows
> > nothing about pxe and mdk/mdv/mga. Please remove.
> > Drakvirt : superseeded by Redhat tool.
> > Draknet* : please keep it. Best tool today (better than networkmanager
> > for
> > many thinks, and conman seems to be not finished today.) Ambitious to
> > have a
> > knetwaorkmanager port for draknet* ?
>
> Well, luckily it's not your decision...
>
> I use several of those tools you think can be removed.
>
> We should improve and extend the draktools not cut them down!
>
> I would really like a draklirc to configure IR remotes, since that's a
> major pain to do manually (especially the first time), I even was thinking
> of writing it myself, but never found the time for it so far.

that is a good idea!

also:
* drakups: for serial upses, a must!
* drakpxelinux: a must for people who do this, but it does need to be
redesigned, because PXE installs don't even work anymore out of the box; the
whole PXE stuff needs to be adjusted, imo.
* i think people still need drakfax, i heard someone talking about that
* never used drakvirt, but i hate redhat's tool.