[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Oct 6 01:04:05 CEST 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010, Tux99 wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, nicolas vigier wrote:
>
> > > I think you misunderstood the concept proposed, we are not talking about
> > > replacing cooker/cauldron, just merging updates and backports for the
> > > released version.
> >
> > And then you run "urpmi --auto-select" on your server, and all your web
> > sites stop working because php was updated to a new version which is not
> > 100% compatible with the previous one ...
>
> Hmm, two things, actually three:
>
> 1) I'd never use Mandriva on a server, because of the short support
> period, a server OS requires at least 4-5 years support lifecycles
> (I'm not talking about MES here, just the normal Mandriva variants)

But you can still use it while it is supported, and upgrade to a newer
realease when it's no more supported.

> 2) from my experience "urpmi --auto-select" does that anyway, it doesn't
> seem to differentiate between updates and backports (unlike drakrpm that
> correctly ignores backports when checking for updates)

That's why backports repository is not enabled by default.

> 3) I mentioned earlier that the packager would need to use good
> judgement and not include major incompatible version changes

There is always some small (and sometimes big) incompatibilities with
new versions. Not always known even by the developers. How should the
packager know about all the incompatibilities ?