[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Wed Oct 6 01:24:39 CEST 2010

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, nicolas vigier wrote:

> > 1) I'd never use Mandriva on a server, because of the short support
> > period, a server OS requires at least 4-5 years support lifecycles
> > (I'm not talking about MES here, just the normal Mandriva variants)
>
> But you can still use it while it is supported, and upgrade to a newer
> realease when it's no more supported.

Are you serious? Upgrading a server every 18 months?
No thanks, I rather use a distro that has at least a 4-5 year support
lifecycle for that, than waste my time with unnecessary upgrades of a
server.

> > 3) I mentioned earlier that the packager would need to use good
> > judgement and not include major incompatible version changes
>
> There is always some small (and sometimes big) incompatibilities with
> new versions. Not always known even by the developers. How should the
> packager know about all the incompatibilities ?

Correction:
There is always A SMALL RISK of incompatibilities with new versions.

Anyone who wants next to zero risk will choose Centos rather than
Mandriva/Mageia anyway, so for the kind of distro we are doing
providing updated packages is a much bigger attraction for potential
users, than the small risk of an incompatibility.