[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Fernando Parra gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx
Wed Oct 6 04:39:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:00:46 -0400
Sinner from the Prairy <sinnerbofh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Fernando Parra
> > <gato2707-/E1597aS9LQGXtTpemXPTA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> >> A different approach could be a "light rolling distro", let me explain. A
> >> distro with a selected number of programs updated regular as their new
> >> versions are available.
>
> > That's what backports are for, no need for a "light rolling distro",
> > just contribute and help doing the backports for different Mageia
> > versions if you really want them. That's what I do and it was one of
> > the main reasons to become a contrib packager :)
>
> I totally agree with both Juan Luis Baptiste and Buchan Milne.
>
> No rolling release!
>
> This is just a fancy word.
>
> But then, the "goals" of "rolling release" are already accomplished with the
> current Mandriva system, and I hope Mageia will keep this functionality:
>
> backports
>
> Probably, what needs to happen is to publicize more backports for
> advanced/cutting edge/rolling users instead of changing something that is
> not broken.
>
> Salut,
> Sinner
>
> That's maybe a solution, backports, but let me be less ambiguous about a different model.

When a expert group are working in a re-engineering process at any company, the first wall that they need to broke is: "Oh, but, this is the way in we work since... ¡and it's works fine for us!

In the same way the backport method (called different as different distros are in this world) is the same since... ¡and it works fine for us!

Mageia are trying to be different than other distros (as I understand). Unfortunately I only have read a lot of answers told me why no (thanks to all of you), but any of them made any improvement to my idea, as well there aren't any alternative way.

When Mandriva was madded first time, its goal was to be a very user friendly distro; a Linux for non technical people. But at now there are a new world with a lot of distros with the same goal. For this reason we must do our new way.

In example:

For the same reasons that I have read here, a lot of users never turn on a backport repository, with hundreds of packages inside it, but maybe if there is another repository called "top 10" or something like that (remember I proposed run a poll), these hypothetical users may turn on that repository.

Are there countries with a expensive rates or a slow dial-up connections? Surely they are more comfortable with Mageia knowing that they don't need to download a 700 MB each six months (surely more if they need to install more applications) cause they only need the next version of...

No other distro has an feature like this, it probably become a better offer in a very fragmented and competitive world of GNU / Linux distros.

I don't want to create any more controversial. I only need one thing of you:
Before answer me why not. Made a question to your self: What if...?

Regards from Mexico.

--
Fernando Parra <gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx>