[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Oct 6 19:29:14 CEST 2010

* R James (upsnag2 at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> > Le mercredi 06 octobre 2010 à 18:42 +0200, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
> >
> What is the typical deployment period for servers?
>
> At the company where I work, they're leased for 3 years.
>
> If that's the average, then perhaps 3-year LTS would be sufficient?

It depend.

From a developer point of view, 3 years is very long, especially when
you have to maintains code or packages and the upstream don't help.

From my own experience of busy sysadmin, server are replaced less often.
We buy server with 3 year warranty, some of them have 5 years.
But I think we all have servers running older than that we don't
especially want to replace right now (Re-installing distrib-coffee is
not so easy...).

Regards.

--

Olivier Thauvin