[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Raphaël Jadot ashledombos at hodo.fr
Wed Oct 6 10:49:53 CEST 2010

Le 6 octobre 2010 08:15, Raphaël Jadot <ashledombos at hodo.fr> a écrit :
> 2010/10/6 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
>>
>> I do. I even update them more often. And you would be surprised to see
>> that it doesn't create as much problem as you can think, if the sysadmin
>> is competent enough.
>
> However many small companies can't pay a competent enough sysadmin.
>
> It's why they often choose what seems for them the most simple solution.
>
> I certainly don't know which is the best for a distro, but as long as
> there will be so much sweat and "fear" about upgrading a distro, there
> will be this recurrent discussion.
>
> I know that they have not as much users as mandriva do, and also they
> are young, but unity linux started with the idea of a small core with
> long term release, and branches that add packages such as desktop, wm,
> de etc. that can have a short term release.
>
> Just telling that for the discussion, not that this is what to do :)

There is also a company, named Novatice, that do something really
interesting, imho. They have created their own distro based on
mandriva, but following their own rythm (depending on their own
products developpement cylce). So, for example Edutice was based on
2007, edutice 2 on 2008,  edutice 3 on 2009 and edutice 4 on 2010.1.

But they have add, in the installation wizard, the possibility (not
the obligation) to automatically create a secondary root partition,
for installing each next version of edutice. So each time a new distro
is released, the n version is installed over the n-2 version, the n-1
version is kept, and even though the n distro don't work, you can
still use the n-1.

Of course, it's not a good a solution for computosaurs with 10 GB hard
drive, because you loose ~7 GB, but it can be interesting with big HD