[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Oct 7 06:22:30 CEST 2010

Sorteal a écrit :
> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 04:01 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/7 Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>:
>>
>>> I guess this information would have to come from someone from the core dev
>>> group. Just so that we know for sure. So, is Mageia going to be principally
>>> a KDE distro with offers during installation to install GNOME and other
>>> desktops? Or is it going to be a desktop agnostic distro where the user
>>> eventually picks the desktop sometime during the installation processs?
>>>
>>> This may help with this thread on the talk of browsers.
>>>
>> Pls correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know any browser which is DE
>> dependent - well, there's konqueror, if you want to call this "I want
>> to be everything" a browser. But for real browsers, what does it
>> matter which DE is used?
>>
> While Mandriva officially supported both GNOME and KDE, I do remember
> the last time I tried the GNOME version of Mandriva it was pretty much a
> raw GNOME install.  It had no changes to the default options such as, a
> web browser type of tool bar, and opening new folders in the same
> window.  After trying to get to a video and finding I now had 5 windows
> opened I assumed Mandriva's focus was most assuredly KDE.  I admit this
> was a while back, so this could all have been addressed already, but it
> scared me away from Mandriva-GNOME.
For a while Gnome 2 had some problems at first, just as did KDE 4, but
they have been long solved.  (The upgrade to Gnome 2 was a major rewrite.)
Most of the things you mention are configuration problems.  It might be
a little difficult at first finding exactly where to adjust the specific
settings, but that is to be expected.
>    Also, while yes, most browsers are
> DE independent, Firefox takes a bit of tweeking to work flawlessly
> within the KDE DE.  Some distros have supplied a very vanilla install
> and things such as application associations were rather buggy.  Yet, if
> it's done right (and Mandriva always did it right) Firefox works great
> on KDE as do all the other major browsers, IE excluded of course.

Firefox also works well with Gnome.

... Wait a minute ... who said that (ms) IE is a major browser ? ;)