[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

Sorteal sorteal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 10:27:16 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 00:22 -0400, andré wrote:
> Sorteal a écrit :

> >> Pls correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know any browser which is DE
> >> dependent - well, there's konqueror, if you want to call this "I want
> >> to be everything" a browser. But for real browsers, what does it
> >> matter which DE is used?
> >>
> > While Mandriva officially supported both GNOME and KDE, I do remember
> > the last time I tried the GNOME version of Mandriva it was pretty much a
> > raw GNOME install.  It had no changes to the default options such as, a
> > web browser type of tool bar, and opening new folders in the same
> > window.  After trying to get to a video and finding I now had 5 windows
> > opened I assumed Mandriva's focus was most assuredly KDE.  I admit this
> > was a while back, so this could all have been addressed already, but it
> > scared me away from Mandriva-GNOME.
> For a while Gnome 2 had some problems at first, just as did KDE 4, but
> they have been long solved.  (The upgrade to Gnome 2 was a major rewrite.)
> Most of the things you mention are configuration problems.  It might be
> a little difficult at first finding exactly where to adjust the specific
> settings, but that is to be expected.
> >    Also, while yes, most browsers are
> > DE independent, Firefox takes a bit of tweeking to work flawlessly
> > within the KDE DE.  Some distros have supplied a very vanilla install
> > and things such as application associations were rather buggy.  Yet, if
> > it's done right (and Mandriva always did it right) Firefox works great
> > on KDE as do all the other major browsers, IE excluded of course.
> >
> Firefox also works well with Gnome.
>
> ... Wait a minute ... who said that (ms) IE is a major browser ? ;)

Firefox works great with GNOME since it's GTK based.  I love GNOME,
Ubuntu is my main desktop distro with Mandriva being my work desktop,
and Firefox seems tailor made for GNOME.  I'm not sure if its GTK (kind
of) base is the reason some KDE focused distros (Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, and
Linux Mint KDE) have a rough time getting Firefox to work perfectly
right "out-of-the-box".  As long as everything works without me having
to configure it to work right I'm perfectly happy using FF as my default
browser.

Also, yeah I hate that IE is a major browser too. Yet for some reason
60% - 70% of computer users choose it as their main browser.  Sad but
true. :-(

I'm really hoping Mageia focuses on both GNOME & KDE, but I could also
understand if the developers chose to focus on just one for stability
and speed reasons.  Guess I just figured it was a KDE-centric distro
since Mandriva seemed to focus so much on it.