[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Oct 8 17:30:42 CEST 2010

Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le jeudi 07 octobre 2010 à 11:14 -0400, Greg Harris a écrit :
>

>> I certainly agree, and mean no disrespect to you and other maintainers
>> who generously contribute their time and energy. But the Mandriva
>> implementation of backports is not a solution for those who want a
>> continuously updated distro. It works for me and I appreciate that it's
>> there. But if you are going to design a new and appealing alternative,
>> the effort required to make backports really known and useful needs to
>> be taken into account.
>>
> Well, that's a long running task. First, we have added meta data to
> repository so we could design a better interface for the software ( ie,
> how to detect that a packages is a backport and how to see a software is
> a update, a test update, or something else ), then we need to implement
> the soft, etc.
>
> You spoke of having backport by default. We used to do it, but too much
> people faced issue and complained. So we 1) said the truth, aka backport
> didn't have the same rigorous testing 2) disabled it by default.
>
> Now, if things change ( ie, if we have a process with more QA ), we can
> change again.

Backports are definitely an area needing improvement.  Firstly, it is a
bit awkward - especially with the waiting for Rpmdrake to process - to
temporarily access backports.
And when I have, most of the time what I was interested in was not as up
to date as the developper's site, if there was a backport for the
application (or type of application) in question.
Luckily, being a programmer, it is not problematic for me to compile and
create menu entries, etc, if necessary.  But that doesn't help ordinary
users of (now) Mageia.
So I intend to become more involved with backports - and trying to
improve Rpmdrake and other tools.
(If only Perl were a little easier/ more like other languages, I would
have already done more.)
So Mageia is pushing me to contribute more actively - hopefully others
as well.

- André (andre999)