[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Oct 12 18:52:58 CEST 2010

Quote: marc wrote on Tue, 12 October 2010 18:42
> Unfortunately, if this is done, I will no longer be able to install
> legally any Mageia due to our laws. I think it is best if these are not
>
> installed but let users know where to get them, mostly through PLF.

How do you expect Mageia to verify each single package to make sure it
complies with the laws in ALL countries of the world?
Mageia should make sure that the packages comply with French law, but
that's it.

You can still install Mageia and then remove the packages that are
problematic in your country, I very much doubt your laws are that
draconian that you can't even do that.
Mageia could include an option during install to exclude the well-known
problematic packages from installation to make this easier for people that
live in countries with restrictive laws.

> When I install Mandriva Free for people, I will let them know where the
>
> PLF repos are and the files needed and they install these themselves.

This is a major hassle for new/inexperienced users and IMHO should be
avoided.

> If Mageia packages include unlicensed software and codecs, the Mageia
> brand may be held legally responsible for marketing software in
> countries where the laws do not permit this.

This is nonsense, Mageia can only be held responsible in France based on
French law (as long as Mageia isn't planning subsidiaries in outher
countries, which IMHO is unlikely and completely unnecessary for a
non-profit association).

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/