[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Tue Oct 12 22:24:29 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 18:18:41 Jerome Quelin wrote:
> On 10/10/12 18:02 +0300, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> > Do people have any thoughts on what kind of repository/media sectioning
> > we should use on Mageia, and what should those sections contain?
> >
> > == Do we want a separated core repository?
> >
> > No separated core: Fedora, Debian, Opensuse
> > Separated core: Mandriva (main), Ubuntu (main), Arch (Core)
>
> i'd rather have no separated core repository. it's really not funny to
> fail some builds in core because of deps in contrib: understanding why
> the build fails, requesting the move to main, waiting for someone with
> move powers to act, waiting for hdlist to be rebuilt and finally,
> finally resubmit the job... -ENOFUN!
>
> now, i guess this will also depend of the support policy we decide for
> mageia. but i'd really, really like *not* to split main & contrib (or
> whatever their names are).

I'd have to agree.

However, if we'll only support a subset of the packages, it needs to be very
clear for everyone what packages are supported and whatnot (meaning notable
notifications in rpmdrake, etc).

.. though AFAICS Mandriva didn't make this clear at all either, unless users
went to the wiki page to read the media descriptions. We should do better.

--
Anssi Hannula