[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Updating released versions (long post)

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:59:59 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 13 octobre 2010 at 23:34, Frank Griffin wrote :
> One way of doing it might be, having identified packages that require
> this sort of support, to wrap the executables with scripts that do this
> the next time a user runs the software before the real executable is
> launched.

Now that's getting very hackish.
I'd rather not have many programs wrapped in scripts that would do some
magic on my home dir under the hood. Because with such a "solution" the
programs would be always wrapped, even if you never do a rollback.
How would such script detect that it actually was a rollback and it should
do his magic on the config files.
What would happen if the user did not run that program between the update
and the rollback?

It seems the complexity is not worth the benefit, and those scripts are
likely to not be well tested and might make things worse if things are not
like they expected.

--
Renaud Michel