[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Oct 14 17:33:31 CEST 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, nicolas vigier wrote:

> Experience tells me that backports break much more than regular
> security/bugfix updates.

Do you have any examples?

I have been using backports on all my PCs and enabled them on all PCs of
friends whom I installed Mandriva and so far I have yet to see a single
breakage caused by backports.

My desktop PC is still running 2008.1 to which I have personally
backported loads of apps even from 2011 cooker, without any issues.
Granted, I was unable to backport some apps due to the great difference
in lib versions, but that's to be expected when considering 2008.1 is
2.5 years old. But all apps that built fine, work fine.

There was on the other hand a huge breakage caused by a normal
bugfix update of KDE4 in 2009.0 that caused KDE3.5 to completely break
for all users that had chosoen KDE3.5 (which was still supported in 2009.0).

> The software itself can be more stable, but not the integration with
> the other software.

Why do you say that?

It's all a matter of due care and obviously of avoiding backports
of things like KDE or other core stuff.