[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Thu Oct 14 18:58:40 CEST 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:33:31 +0200, Tux99 wrote:

> I have been using backports on all my PCs and enabled them on all PCs of
> friends whom I installed Mandriva and so far I have yet to see a single
> breakage caused by backports.

  Having never had Backports enabled, I was encouraged by postings
here to try it.  Several app's were updated (e.g. VLC, CUPS).

However, I then found that the new version of VLC had problems with
DVD menus, and the new CUPS introduced problems (not just in my
installation but at least one other Mandriva user).

So I have reverted my Root partition to its state before the Backports
update, and all is well again.

My experience tells me that I should only use Backports - temporarily
- when looking for an update to some application, i.e. not as a source
for regular overall software updates.

--
/\/\aurice
	(Retired in Surrey, UK)     Registered Linux User #487649