[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 02:56:04 CEST 2010

Op donderdag 21 oktober 2010 22:38:19 schreef Olivier Thauvin:
> * Maarten Vanraes (maarten.vanraes at gmail.com) wrote:
> > Op woensdag 20 oktober 2010 18:34:24 schreef Olivier Thauvin:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > You can find here:
> > > http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/
> > > the current mirror tree proposal.
> > > We now have to discuss it, I think.
> >
> > i didn't follow the whole previous discussion about the mirror tree, but
> > would it be advisable to have a noarch subdir, next to i586 and x86_64 ?
>
> This is not on my side. The internal distribution tree structure is more
> related to build system than the global mirror tree structure.
>
> At least, the tree I am suggesting neither deny it, neither make it
> easier.

That is true, however from a globabl mirror pov; it kind of makes sense:

suppose people would want to do the arm or other ports, the noarch packages
can be exactly the same; therefor there is no need to list the noarch packages
in i586 and having them symlinked or whatever to x86_64 which will have larger
.cz and people will need to mirror both if they want x86_64 only, etc...