[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Fri Oct 22 16:36:48 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 02:56:04AM +0200, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Op donderdag 21 oktober 2010 22:38:19 schreef Olivier Thauvin:
> > * Maarten Vanraes (maarten.vanraes at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > i didn't follow the whole previous discussion about the mirror tree, but
> > > would it be advisable to have a noarch subdir, next to i586 and x86_64 ?
> >
> > This is not on my side. The internal distribution tree structure is more
> > related to build system than the global mirror tree structure.
> >
> > At least, the tree I am suggesting neither deny it, neither make it
> > easier.
>
> That is true, however from a globabl mirror pov; it kind of makes sense:
>
> suppose people would want to do the arm or other ports, the noarch packages
> can be exactly the same; therefor there is no need to list the noarch packages
> in i586 and having them symlinked or whatever to x86_64 which will have larger
> .cz and people will need to mirror both if they want x86_64 only, etc...
Actually, that’s exactly the point where it’s uncomfortable to have
noarch outside the arch tree.

If we only had i586 and x86_64 things would be quite simple, because
packages are built at the same time. Now consider more exotic arch: You
have to have machines that will compile for this arch. The problem is
that they might be lagging behind a bit if they’re not powerful enough,
or if we don’t have a sufficient number of machines.

If some noarch packages depend on arch dependant packages, and these
packages are not uptodate for arch $foo, that will lead to broken
packages in this arch.

Thus, having noarch packages outside the $foo tree is not feasible at
the moment.

Please also note that cross-compile is not an option either (but I’m not
an expert in this area to explain it in details).

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD