[Mageia-dev] Suggestion-Locales management for One (or Live) Cd releases

atilla ontas tarakbumba at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:53:31 CEST 2010

2010/10/25 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> What is so hard in keeping the Mandriva approach (2 / 3 different cds
> with language groups)? If communicated sufficiently users will have no
> problem to chose the correct version for their language. Mandriva
> could have done that easily by adding a link to the "Download Mandriva
> Linux ONE" page which shows all 2 / 3 ONE with a listing of the
> supported languages. Why could we not do it?

Well. for those reasons:

- [Mirror side] Waste of space (see discussions about mirrors; i know
you' re one of the mirror maintainer, don't you?) We have 6 different
types of Mandriva One isos. 2 for GNOME, 4 for KDE. 6x700MB=4200MB
extra space on every mirror.

-  [Content side] Waste of space. Why don't a Mandriva One KDE4 do not
have printer system or k3b?

- Confusing newbies and even experts minds. I have two times installed
other one cd images than turkish supported one because of a false
mouse click.

- Most important: Unsupported language users do not have their
language files installed for applications other than desktop
environment related ones. They have to install those apps again even
those applications come with One Cd or find their corresponding .mo
files and copy to /usr/share/locale/iso_code/LC_Messages dir.

These are reasons to hard keep Mandriva's approach. I'm not a perl
programmer; so i don't know if this proposal could be applied, though.