[Mageia-dev] Suggestion-Locales management for One (or Live) Cd releases

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 25 16:13:28 CEST 2010

2010/10/25 atilla ontas <tarakbumba at gmail.com>:

> Well. for those reasons:
>
> - [Mirror side] Waste of space (see discussions about mirrors; i know
> you' re one of the mirror maintainer, don't you?) We have 6 different
> types of Mandriva One isos. 2 for GNOME, 4 for KDE. 6x700MB=4200MB
> extra space on every mirror.

That's around 5% of the space needed for one version of Mageia. Does
this really count on a mirror?

> -  [Content side] Waste of space. Why don't a Mandriva One KDE4 do not
> have printer system or k3b?

Well, this is a discussion which leads nowhere. You can easily argue
that a live cd does not need this or that application. The
system-config-printer issue has been discussed many times, it is not
absent because of too many locale files.

> - Confusing newbies and even experts minds. I have two times installed
> other one cd images than turkish supported one because of a false
> mouse click.

You can apply the "wrong mouse click" error to all applications in
computer universe. I don't think a user is so dumb that he can't
select the correct choice of one among 2 or three! I come to the
download page, I see "Download ONE" (as example), Next step: Each
language group listing all included languages. user clicks on his
language, the download of the correct ISO starts.
Too confusing?

> - Most important: Unsupported language users do not have their
> language files installed for applications other than desktop
> environment related ones. They have to install those apps again even
> those applications come with One Cd or find their corresponding .mo
> files and copy to /usr/share/locale/iso_code/LC_Messages dir.

Yes, a reply to those very rare cases was already given.

--
wobo