[Mageia-dev] Mirror list for apps (LONG mail)

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Thu Nov 4 01:03:52 CET 2010

* Michael Scherer (misc at zarb.org) wrote:
> Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 19:47 +0100, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wrote an application to register mirrors which is currently here:
> > http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/mageia-mirrors/
> >
> > I hadn't the time to really check mirror brain, I just had a quick look,
> > so don't ask.
>
> Have you check mirror manager
> ( https://fedorahosted.org/mirrormanager/ ) :)

Misc, have seen this rabbit, have you seen it, go, run after it !

> > 3) The list look like:
> > continent=EU,zone=DE,country=Germany,latitude=51.97,longitude=7.63,version=2011.0,arch=x86_64,type=distrib,url=rsync://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/mandrakelinux/devel/2011.0/x86_64
> > continent=EU,zone=DE,country=Germany,latitude=51.97,longitude=7.63,version=2011.0,arch=x86_64,type=updates,url=rsync://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/mandrakelinux/devel/2011.0/x86_64
>
> I would add the AS number, as this would allow urpmi to take a mirror
> that is really near from a network point of view.

My software fetch IP address, so it can find AS number as soon we a way
to find them.

> >   * it is harcoded in urpmi
>
> Could I suggest to not hardcode it anymore, and maybe place it in a file
> outside of urpmi ( so a distribution could override it more easily if
> needed ).

I agree.

> > 3) The content
> >   * tags seems be optional
> >   * mirror point to 2011 not cooker (a symlink at time)
>
> Well, it depend if we want to let people go on cooker by default or not.

This URL is used by urpmi on cooker system, so people using cooker are
aware about how it works (at least I hope).

> >   * I can produce same output as I have same information
> >   * Do we need specific line for update since now distribution include
> >     everything
> >   * Do we keep this format ?
>
> The format seems fine for me.

I think there is some problem, for instance, what happend if a country
name contains a ',' ?

But beside this little disadvantages I don't see myself the need to
change it.

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS