[Mageia-dev] Release cycle - what is actually POSSIBLE?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Nov 26 13:14:02 CET 2010

Le vendredi 26 novembre 2010 à 06:49 -0500, Marc Paré a écrit :
> Le 2010-11-26 06:23, Ahmad Samir a écrit :
>

> > You mean the "rumours" that Ubuntu will switch to a rolling distro
> > model? http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ubuntu-Rolling-release-rumours-wrong-1142040.html
> >
> > (thanks to misc posting the link on IRC yesterday).
> >

> Yes. Thanks for the link and setting me straight on this too. I'm sure
> that I am not the only one who was not fully informed of the reply to
> the original rumour. I read the original article on LinuxToday.com. I
> now see that they have a link to an article setting this straight
> http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/ubuntu-sticking-six-month-development-cycle

If people digged a little bit more in the original article, they would
not need to set it straight. For having discussed with a Canonical
developper, their plan is in the line of what we started to do with
backports and mageia-app-db, but integrated in the software center.

The main point is the "opportunist developper" plan explained by Jono
Bacon some times ago. Ie, people who create small applications, like
what they do on the iPhone, but on Linux ( see
http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/03/06/the-grand-app-writing-challenge-submissions/ ). And this requires them to be able to deliver theses application on current stable, and maybe on older releases too. So once the required infrastructure is there, it can be reused for more heavyweight backports too.

And maybe that's also something to do with the reflexion of Matt
Zimmerman ( Canonical CTO )
http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/07/06/weve-packaged-all-of-the-free-software-what-now/

--
Michael Scherer