[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 02:42:58 CET 2010

Op maandag 29 november 2010 01:51:38 schreef Michael Scherer:
> Le dimanche 28 novembre 2010 à 22:12 +0200, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
> > So the mirror medias accordingly to all comments so far would be a
> > simple:
> >
> > * core
> >
> >    - enabled by default
> >    - mirrors must mirror this media to be listed as a mirror
> >    - only GPL stuff
> >    - must be selfcontained
> >
> > * nonfree
> >
> >    - disabled by default, installer will ask to enable it if
> >
> >      it detects hw that need driver/fw from here...
> >
> >    - mirrors must mirror this media to be listed as a mirror
> >    - contains apps/drivers/firmware that are free to redistribute,
> >
> >      but we dont have GPL source for
> >
> >    - for example ati/nvidia drivers/firmware, Oracle Java, ...
> >
> > * tainted
> >
> >    - disabled by default
> >    - mirrors are free to not mirror this media
> >    - stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some
> >
> >      patent issues or other restrictions in oter countries.
>
> damned, if I had seen this mail sooner, I would not have written my 200
> lines one ( that took 36 hours to write ).
>
> I agree with this split.

I can agree with this; however i think that:
 - i would add extra with the unmaintained packages (and not remove them);
mirror would be free not to mirror that media as well and disabled by default
 - core would be too big (mirror size + hdlists size + search time) (a games
split up is what i would recommend to alleviate this problem)