[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Mon Nov 29 04:43:19 CET 2010

* Maarten Vanraes (maarten.vanraes at gmail.com) wrote:
> Op maandag 29 november 2010 02:06:13 schreef Olivier Thauvin:
> > >   - disabled by default
> > >   - mirrors are free to not mirror this media
> > >   - stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some
> > >
> > >     patent issues or other restrictions in oter countries.
> >
> > I can't agree with the "mirrors are free to not mirror this media",
> > three reasons:
> > 1) I don't see an easy and safe way for mirrors to exclude a media (a
> > directory + hdlist in media/media_info) in each distribution,
> > 2) I don't know how urpmi can manage this, all medias are described in
> > only one file, to detect something is missing
> > (media/media_info/media.cfg).
> > 3) I tried to act as rules that a valid is a mirror containing
> > everything, to not have to deal with a lot of mirrors style.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> actually, when i was working on my urpmi-proxy, i noticed that the media.cfg
> file is easily changed (can be made to merge)
>
> and for this to work, we still need urpmi mirrorlist function that works well,
> by just getting those from another mirror

The main problem is not on urpmi side. How me (mirror admin) will
exclude such things in practice ?
Maybe a more direct approach is need: Can you write the rsync command
line I have to run on the mirror ? What will happend is one day Mageia
team to change the structure ?

It's true this can be done on server side, but no mirror will sync from
rsync.mageia.org. So this have to be done on Tiers1 on which we have no
control (except distrib-coffee, a special case), and ibiblio sys admin
seem's to be very busy.

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS