[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Dec 4 10:33:10 CET 2010

John a écrit :

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:28:26 +0100
> Maarten Vanraes wrote:
>
>> Op vrijdag 03 december 2010 10:45:05 schreef Ahmad Samir:
>> [...]
>>> The kernel uses the word "tainted" when it detects the nvidia
>>> proprietary module for example, (which admittedly gave me a bit of
>>> shock the first time I saw it :)).
>>
>> Heh, i had the same reaction.
>>
>>>  From all the proposed names, I think "tainted" is the best one, as the
>>>
>>> packages in there are in a "grey" zone, i.e. not totally illegal
>>> everywhere, but illegal only in some places in the world. And in
>>> reality the existence of a patent doesn't necessarily mean it's
>>> enforceable in a court of law (the only way we'd know for sure is if
>>> someone actually does try to sue)... my 0.02€ worth :)

Generally only potentially "illegal" in some countries.
"Tainted" means contaminated, polluted.  A lot stronger than potentially
"illegal".  (Really only actionable in a civil sense, not criminally
illegal, as well.)
A package could end up there due to an apparently credible rumour, later
discredited.  (Anyone remember SCO ?)

>> how about "gray" or "grey" ?
>
> 'Grayzone' ?
>
> John

Yes, "greyzone" conveys the idea very well.

Or "problematic" ?

my 2 cents :)

André