[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Dec 11 10:42:10 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 02:26:32PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
> Romain d'Alverny a écrit :

> >  - for packaging/shipping the distribution
>
> Evidently easier to package.  (One less consideration.)
> As well, the problem doesn't exist in France, so Mageia itself won't
> be a target.

This is a over simplification.
PLF is not only for patented softwares, but also for softwares that
have others issues ( DMCA, copyright claim, etc ).
So from a packaging point of view, we would still
have a separate repository, so the consideration would
likely still exist.

> >  - for using it.
>
> It doesn't seem that any individual user has been pursued for using
> unauthorised patent-affected software.
> So using patent-affected software is a non-issue for users.
> (Unless they choose to avoid such software, of course.)

We should not only take care of individual users, companies can also use
a linux distribution. See how debian is used in many embedded product, or Fedora
for that matter.
So no, this is not a non-issue for users, because there is more than
"individual users" in the users group.

--
Michael Scherer