[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 11 16:02:38 CET 2010

2010/12/11 Michael scherer <misc at zarb.org>:

> You should look a little bit more closely. For example, libdvdcss2 is plf only.
> So does various emulator, lame ( and related like darkice ), gstreamer-bad,
> etc. There is amule, and similar software. More than 2.
>
> I am sure that using a small shell script, the exact number could be found, if
> someone want to invest the time.

And there are packages which are in the normal repos as well but PLF
offers them with a wider functionality. As already mentioned Mplayer
and VLC.

Anyway, whatever you decide, it will be a non-ideal decision because
the circumstances are very different in many countries,

As this is the case it all comes down to
 - either have everything together and let the mirror maintainers and
users sort it out (if needed)
 - or have one (1) separate repo with everything not clearly without
dubious contents, making it easy for the mirrors to exclude and for
the users to set or not to set.

I am not sure I understand what was the problem with the "Mandriva"
solution. This model is/was easy for users and mirrors likewise
(according to my experiences with users and mirrors over the last
years). Certainly I can't tell for the developper side.

--
wobo