[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Dec 11 15:40:05 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 08:16:33AM -0500, andre999 wrote:

> >Not to mention that a ratio of 2 mirrors in the USA out of a total
> >of 25 seems rather odd, for something that admins do not care.
>
> 2 of 25 PLF mirrors in the U.S.

Technically, 1, since the other is down ( and should be removed from
the list ).
So a ratio of 4%.

> 16 of 133 Mandriva mirrors in the U.S.

A ratio of 12%.

Same as debian, based 49 mirrors in the US out of 358.
( ie 13% ), based on http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

Ubuntu has 12 out of 62 for isos, ie 16%.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

And for packages, that 51 out of 367, ie 13%
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

Opensuse has 22 out of  155, aka 14%.
( http://mirrors.opensuse.org/ ).

Fedora has 59 us mirrors out of 259, ie 22%.
( http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/ ).

So basically, between Fedora, with a strict policy, and PLF, the
difference is 18%.

And I didn't count other country such as Japan, where patents on software
are permitted ( http://en.swpat.org/wiki/Japan ), and where the count of PLF
mirrors vs Fedora mirrors is 0 to 8.

More ever, the fact that this is hosted by some private and rather anonymous
company is also a important point. Ie, no .edu or big telco ever contacted
PLF to host a mirror, while in France and another country, PLF have both.

> Also, there are only about 400 packages for i586 in PLF mirrors.
> Since most are duplicated, I wonder how many distinct packages there are ?
> Somehow doubt that an unlicenced copy of quotes from the Simpsons
> (one of the 2 plf packages that I didn't find also in Mandriva main)
> is going to be a big attraction.

You should look a little bit more closely. For example, libdvdcss2 is plf only.
So does various emulator, lame ( and related like darkice ), gstreamer-bad,
etc. There is amule, and similar software. More than 2.

I am sure that using a small shell script, the exact number could be found, if
someone want to invest the time.

--
Michael Scherer