[Mageia-dev] mageia sound tasks

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:04:00 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 13:27, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 17 décembre 2010 à 12:35 +0100, Sascha Schneider a écrit :
>> [...]
>> Work to be done:
>> - provide sound packages like hydrogen, ardour, jackit ......
>> - provide TWO good realtimekernel, one for desktop and another for netbooks
>
> Given the fact that each kernel add a certain load on hdlists, I think
> we should really try to avoid their proliferation.
> ( kernel represent 33% of the size of contribs hdlist at Mandriva ).

This is not necessarily proliferation if it has a legitimate purpose
for the user needs. Maybe this could be merged with other existing rt
kernels.

If that makes for a really big issue for the final repository index
files in the end, then it may be a good reason to have a music studio
derivative distribution. Or find another solution?

>> - provide a script or someting like that, that scanns and adds sound
>> specific stuff to the limits.conf, /etc/udev/rules.d and /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>> and other places
>> - provide tasks files that really only install good and necessary sound
>> stuff.
>
> Good luck with deciding what is "good and necessary". You will always
> end frustrating people whose definition of good and necessary to be
> different.

Nothing will ever please everyone. But it's good to have a
recommandation/selection of whatever works best/best fits some
purpose, to avoid having to test everything everytime to have a
working setup; here a music studio.

So this may not be the best way to put it (using a rpm task), but it
looks like it. Having a basic recommendation set for a particular
purpose, on top of all available software in the distribution, does
not sound bad to me (further than that, having a way to
customize/store/retrieve this set).

Althought trying new stuff is great too, there are times you prefer to
focus on production and just install/restore tools that just works,
without taking too much time in this.

(we're not to the point of having something like a allmyapps.com
equivalent though).

> And secondary, I think we should also try to avoid having too much task-
> rpms. Their values is in the fact they allow to quickly install a set of
> rpm without searching in the whole set of rpm.

Indeed.

Romain