[Mageia-dev] Proposal for bugzilla

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 20:54:37 CET 2010

On 22 December 2010 21:45, Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op woensdag 22 december 2010 20:38:06 schreef Ahmad Samir:
>> Sure, but there's strace and gdb crash backtraces, that's what devs
>> use to find where a crash/bug happens, whether it's in their
>> package/code or somewhere else.
>>
>> To be more clear it's "one bug per report", that bug originates from a
>> package, that's what gets to be put in the 'RPM Package' field; it's
>> not unheard of that the 'RPM Package' field is changed through out the
>> life cycle of a bug report.
>
> yes, but suppose there's a firefox issue and it appears to be a problem with a
> system library, after it gets changed, people will never find this problem
> again; since they look for firefox...

In two years, I probably never used the "RPM Package" as a search
criteria (I don't have any statistics many people use it, my guess
would be a small number); I usually search in the "Comment"s with
"Contains all of the words" or "Contains all of the words/strings"
(not just in mdv bugzilla, but in any bugzilla I use, some of them
enable searching in the bug "Summary"); so you search for "firefox
crash bookmarks" or "firefox crash move tab" or "firefox hang quit", I
think that's what most users will do as the "RPM Package" is a bit
hidden at the bottom.

IMHO, this is better, because a GTK2+ bug could affect a lot of GTK2+
apps, I don't think it's ideal to list every single affected package
in the "RPM Package" field. The same goes for kdelibs or perl or
python or ffmpeg... etc.

--
Ahmad Samir