[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Deprecate draknetcenter+network init scripts after systemd becomes default.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 23 12:01:56 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 23/08/11 10:10 did gyre and gimble:
> Le mardi 23 août 2011 à 09:30 +0100, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>> 'Twas brillig, and Michael scherer at 22/08/11 13:14 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> Provided you want to do nothing fancy like bridge, vlan and
>>> others stuff that are used by sysadmins.
>>
>> As I said in my initial email, but was not clear. All of these things
>> will be supported in a much nicer way in the near future.
>
> But so far, this is not supported. And since we have said we do not
> remove non systemd from Mageia 2
> ( https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2011-July/006701.html ) ,
> I think we cannot take systemd for granted before mageia 3.

Yup, that's why I mentioned mageia 3 in my initial mail.

> And precisely, because we are not gonna keep only systemd for mageia 2,
> we cannot depreciate network script.

Oh yeah, I'm not proposing any of this for mga2...

>> But yes, Fedora will switch and we can follow, but it would be nice to
>> be at the fore front here if possible.
>
> Would we have too much ressources, maybe. But so far, there is already
> enough work on http://check.mageia.org/ to keep people busy, and I do
> not really see the need to add more breakage and shiny stuff when we are
> far from being able to take care of what we already have.

Well, fixing the existing stuff or switching to new shiney things with
no doubt (different) breakages, is much of a muchness IMO. Sure it does
take some initial work, but also allows us to get fixes from other
parties rather than having to fix everything ourselves which is, overall
a net positive in terms of resources.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]