[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Deprecate draknetcenter+network init scripts after systemd becomes default.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 26 12:45:04 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 26/08/11 11:19 did gyre and gimble:
> Le jeudi 25 août 2011 à 12:17 +0100, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>> 'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 24/08/11 10:46 did gyre and gimble:
>>
>> Just on this point in particular (as Misc has pretty much covered
>> everything I would say and more!), the need to do this will likely go
>> away very soon.
>>
>> I don't know the full ins and outs here but AFAIK, there was/are various
>> uses of dnsmasq in Network Manager to provide caching DNS (which I
>> presume is the basic need with bind+forwarders).
>
> That's optional, but yes, you can tell to nm to manage dnsmasq or bind
> to provides caching for dns. Dnsmasq is also used to share the
> connection.
>
> To enable it, I think you need to set this :
>
> [main]
> dns=dnsmasq
>
> ( or bind, even if this is marked experimental in git )
>
> I tested on nm-0.9, my network didn't explose

Cool, but regardless, all of this can and will be removed from NM soon
enough anyway. The new DNS system backed into nsswitch will be much
nicer in this regard and nscd will be able to handle all the caching needs.

Not sure about shared connections, but that shouldn't be a problem
generally as the client can just be told to use the same upstream DNS
servers AFAIK.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]