[Mageia-dev] mariadb

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Sat Dec 17 17:10:29 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 17 december 2011 14:23:54 schreef Funda Wang:
> 2011/12/17 Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be>:
> > ah, didn't see that one... i've put the mklibnames in variables and
> > resubmitted.
> > 
> > perhaps this can be documented somewhere(.spec file policy), or even
> > better, fixed?
> %mklibname takes a lot of parameters, so:
>    Requires: %mklibname mysql %{major} = %{version}-%{release}
> will let %mklibname think its parameters are:
> %1: mysql
> %2: %{major}
> %3: =
> %4: %{version}-%{release}
> After parsing, %mklibname only recognize the first three paramerters,
> and put an underscore between %2 and %3. so it becomes:
> %{_lib}mysql%{major}_=
> And, %4(%{version}-%{release}) will be throw away.

right, i figured it out, after i saw it. thanks for the lengthy explanation. 
Speaking with Anssi about this, he mentions that

%{mklibname mysql %{major}} = %{version}-%{release}

would have also solved the issue.

> > PS: I provided the exact provides as mysql, just to be sure that there is
> > no mageia (or otherwise 3rd party package) could be having troubles
> > finding the correct packages.
> As mariadb is a binary replacement for mysql, why not just named the
> libs as %{_lib}mysql18 and %{_lib}mysqld18, which is more accurate
> than %{_lib}mariadb18. Almost all the packages are using binary
> dependencies (libmysqlclient.so.18) rather than rpm name dependencies,
> which is more nature than package name, and more reliable.

i understand, however the %mklibname macro is actually meant for this, and 
will not change.

furthermore, speaking with Anssi about this, 

> Personally, I don't think libmysqld18 (now it is named
> libmariadb-embedded18) should have any relationship with libmysqld0.
> They have different libmajor, which means all the packages depending
> on libmysqld0 should be recompiled. So basically, they are different
> libs actually. Adding symbolic link won't provide any help, either.

in respect to the embedded libraries, it's not actually,

their upstream version was more or less copied from mysql and the developer 
who implemented the cmake change in 5.5 branch for mysql, is the same person 
who's now maintaining that 5.5 cmake branch.

I mentioned that this library should be versioned, and that it's not at this 
time, he agreed, and said that since it's ABI compatible with mysqlclient, 
that he should not use 0 major, but the 18 major (same as mysqlclient)

the code is still 100% exactly the same, it just went from unversioned in 
upstream to versioned.

since we had versioned manually mysqld to major 0, i provided the 
compatibility symlinks for it.

More information about the Mageia-dev mailing list