[Mageia-dev] mariadb

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Sat Dec 17 21:57:07 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 17 december 2011 14:45:42 schreef Anssi Hannula:
> On 17.12.2011 15:23, Funda Wang wrote:
> > 2011/12/17 Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be>:
> >> ah, didn't see that one... i've put the mklibnames in variables and
> >> resubmitted.
> >>
> >> perhaps this can be documented somewhere(.spec file policy), or even
> >> better, fixed?
> >
> > %mklibname takes a lot of parameters, so:
> >    Requires: %mklibname mysql %{major} = %{version}-%{release}
> >
> > will let %mklibname think its parameters are:
> > %1: mysql
> > %2: %{major}
> > %3: =
> > %4: %{version}-%{release}
> >
> > After parsing, %mklibname only recognize the first three paramerters,
> > and put an underscore between %2 and %3. so it becomes:
> >
> > %{_lib}mysql%{major}_=
> >
> > And, %4(%{version}-%{release}) will be throw away.
> >
> >> PS: I provided the exact provides as mysql, just to be sure that there
> >> is no mageia (or otherwise 3rd party package) could be having troubles
> >> finding the correct packages.
> >
> > As mariadb is a binary replacement for mysql, why not just named the
> > libs as %{_lib}mysql18 and %{_lib}mysqld18, which is more accurate
> > than %{_lib}mariadb18. Almost all the packages are using binary
> > dependencies (libmysqlclient.so.18) rather than rpm name dependencies,
> > which is more nature than package name, and more reliable.
>
> +1 for not naming it as libmariadb18 if it actually contains
> libmysqlclient.so.18.

err... no it doesn't, i just said it had the same ABI compatibility, it has
nothing to do with libmysqlclient

> Even better, just make it libmysqlclient18 for consistency.
>
> > Personally, I don't think libmysqld18 (now it is named
> > libmariadb-embedded18) should have any relationship with libmysqld0.
> > They have different libmajor, which means all the packages depending
> > on libmysqld0 should be recompiled. So basically, they are different
> > libs actually. Adding symbolic link won't provide any help, either.
>
> +1 for removal of symlink, and +1 for rename to libmysqld18.

ok, as i replied before, the story is a bit different.

and also, libmysqld0 contains (contrary to intuition), libmysqld.so.X, which
is the "embedded" mysql version.

calling it libmariadb-embedded (i could hardly have called it libmariadbd or
something), is actually quite a better name.