[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 9 11:54:27 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Christiaan Welvaart at 09/06/11 10:40 did gyre and
gimble:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
>
>> otoh, perhaps a missing package is also a bugfix... maybe we could
>> file bug
>> reports for missing packages and go through the updates route...
>
> Filing bug reports is not a bad idea, even if the new package will go to
> backports. Just explain a little why it is important (to fix this in a
> stable release).
>
> We probably need a new "version" in bugzilla because mga1+backports is
> basically a new distro. A bug in backports shouldn't be filed against
> "1" IMHO.

As I said in my original mail I really don't think backports is the
right approach.

I'd prefer to have a 3rd party repo than abuse backports to get the
missing packages.

I think updates would be the right place.

Perhaps we can make the submission process check to see if there already
exists a package and if not, allow packagers to submit directly to
core/updates? That way the first version of the package will make it to
updates but subsequent changes will have to go via QA?

While the "oops I messed up the first version" problem could happen, it
would at least keep the burden on the packager for the majority of cases
which is how we want it (from my understanding of the previous messages
on this thread).

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]