[Mageia-dev] Switching from Cooker to Cauldron?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Thu Jun 9 13:44:25 CEST 2011

Hello,

Now that GNOME3 is being imported to Cauldron, I'd like to switch my
Mandriva Cooker installation to Cauldron.

However, Cooker has a different rpm for a while and I have that
installed.

I'm guessing if I attempt to switch to Cauldron, it likely cannot read
the rpm5 database.

I can only think of a few things:
1. Create a new partition, install Mageia 1 on that, switch to Cauldron,
install all the non-automatic installed packages, copy stuff from the
Cauldron partition to the existing one
-> Not too sure about the copying. I've modified various things over the
years (e.g. special Postfix setup and so on)
2. Just attempt to install Cauldron, forcefully reinstall the packages,
and ignore the rpm difference
-> I think this will fail though
3. Somehow export/downgrade the 'rpm5' info to rpm4. Is this possible
and how?
4. Wait for Mageia to have rpm5. Is this planned?

Any advice?

Note: I don't mind some ugly workaround. e.g. I switched from i386->x86_64
without reinstalling. My Cooker installation is from 2004 or so.
--
Regards,
Olav

PS: As I want to use Cauldron I used the -dev list. Hope that's ok.