[Mageia-dev] Switching from Cooker to Cauldron?

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Thu Jun 9 14:24:33 CEST 2011

2011/6/9 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> Hello,
>
> Now that GNOME3 is being imported to Cauldron, I'd like to switch my
> Mandriva Cooker installation to Cauldron.
>
> However, Cooker has a different rpm for a while and I have that
> installed.
>
> I'm guessing if I attempt to switch to Cauldron, it likely cannot read
> the rpm5 database.
>
> I can only think of a few things:
> 1. Create a new partition, install Mageia 1 on that, switch to Cauldron,
> install all the non-automatic installed packages, copy stuff from the
> Cauldron partition to the existing one
> -> Not too sure about the copying. I've modified various things over the
> years (e.g. special Postfix setup and so on)
> 2. Just attempt to install Cauldron, forcefully reinstall the packages,
> and ignore the rpm difference
> -> I think this will fail though
> 3. Somehow export/downgrade the 'rpm5' info to rpm4. Is this possible
> and how?
Yes, there's a URPM::DB::convert() function in URPM >= 4.8 which can do this,
and there's also a standalone utility provided with rpm5
(/usr/lib/rpm/dbconvert)
which also can do this.

You want to convert the format from btree, big endian to hash, little
endian in order
for the rpmdb to work with rpm <= 5.2.

--
Regards,