[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport? (was: Finalizing update process)

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Jun 10 12:27:49 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 09 juin 2011 à 10:14 +0100, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As I upgrade my various machines (I only really have about 5, so not
> that many) I'm running into a few packages that are missing (this is
> inevitable).
>
> Nothing major just little things like trac and supybot etc.
>
> What is the best way to add these packages to the v1 tree?
>
> Using backports seems a little odd as this is "unsupported" and we don't
> really want to encourage using it as a means to get the missing packages.

If we do not want to have people use backports, we wouldn't have added
it in the first place.

I do think backport is perfectly suited for that.

> release is obviously frozen so no go there.
>
> The only real option is updates, but that should obviously have some QA
> on it.

Updates is not for new version of software, not for new softwares. And
backporting something from cauldron is not a update.

> Perhaps we need to have some kind of exemption to get these missing
> packages added?
>
> Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Yes, I do.

We have used backports in the past for that, and I see no reason to
change that.

If the problem is that backports were too buggy in the past, then we
should fix backports process, not bypassing them.

And if we start by pushing new version in update, people will soon
wonder why the new version of X is in updates, while the new version of
Y is not, just because we didn't have X in release and Y was there.

--
Michael Scherer