[Mageia-dev] Missing packages in Mageia 1. How to backport?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Jun 11 04:33:16 CEST 2011

James Kerr a écrit :

> On 10/06/11 22:44, andre999 wrote:
>> James Kerr a écrit :

>>> I've just realised there is a potential problem with this. Because
>>> Mageia has /backports_testing repo's (mdv does not) packages from
>>> /backports_testing may also be displayed. Mgaonline is updating those
>>> sources.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> That was a bug in rpmdrake.
>> If you had updated the repos with backports media enabled, when the
>> backports media was subsequently disabled, the previously available
>> backports packages remained displayed/installable. But new backports
>> were not added if the repos were updated with backports disabled. There
>> was the same problem for other media (like non-free).
>> Otherwise enabling/disabling backports (or any other media) wouldn't
>> make any sense.
>>

> It is not a bug, but intended behaviour. When mdkonline/mgaonline is
> running it updates backports sources each time it checks for updates. As
> I indicated in an earlier email you can see that this is done if you
> check /var/log/auth.log.
>
> The system that I tested on, has never had backports sources enabled and
> I was able to install a recent package from a disabled backports source,
> by selecting it from Backports, displayed using the first filter in
> rpmdrake.
>
> This facility was set up to allow inexperienced users to selectively
> install backports, without enabling the backports sources.
>
> Jim

OK, I just verified.  As you say, backports are visible if viewing backports alone, even if the
backports medias are not selected.  (This is the first time I have selected viewing backports alone.)

I have, however, temporarily enabled at least one backports media on occasion, which were then
viewable under "all" (packages).  The backports packages in question remained viewable under "all",
after all the backports media were disabled.
Note that if backports media are not enabled, backports are normally not visible under "all"
(packages) or "all updates".
The same thing has happened with "non-free" medias, which I normally leave disabled.

--
André