[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jun 13 14:19:20 CEST 2011

Le lundi 13 juin 2011 à 14:01 +0200, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> schrieb am 12.06.2011
> > Proposal 1:
> > 6 months release cycle -> 12 months life cycle
> > ( Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva < 2010.1 && Mandriva != 2006.0 )
> >
> > Proposal 2:
> > 9 months release cycle -> 18 months life cycle
> > ( ~ opensuse and the one we used for Mageia 1 )
> >
> > Proposal 3:
> > 12 months release cycle -> 24 months life cycle
> > ( Mandriva > 2010.1 )
> That's kind of a hard decison. I don't know if a 6 month cycle would
> not put too much stress on the dev/packager community. But 12 months
> are a bit much for the hordes of impatient users usually residing in
> the forums.
> So I would - for now - prefer option 2, 9 months seeming a reasonable
> time span.
>
> Especially since we would always be able to change that cycle to
> something more fitting.
>
> As to the "rolling" and the "lts" discussion. I think it's something
> for the future. We first have to see, how much manpower we really have,
> to maintain the distro.
>
> I woul then kind of like the idea of a special rolling repo like
> debian testing or suse tumbleweed.

Well, has someone looked at what they do ?

Debian testing is not a rolling release for users, but it is a base for
the release. And bigger packages updates are slow to migrate, for
example, there is still iceweael/firefox 3.X
http://packages.debian.org/testing/web/iceweasel . So I am not sure that
it will really bring what people want ( as this is not what it was
designed for in the first place ).

Gentoo model is heavily dependent on sources recompilation on user
workstation so not applicable ( even if this is the closest of what
people could want in term of package management ).

I didn't look at the tumbleweed system, but I fear this is highly
dependent on the Suse workflow, so if someone could do the research to
explain clearly what it does for the next discussion, it would surely
help. ( this also mean that people should keep such research for next
discussion and do not mix with the current one )
--
Michael Scherer