[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:20:26 CEST 2011

About the cycles:

The problems with 6-months have been pointed out - my main concern
would be the lack of manpower and the continuous state of
"pre-release", no real room to sit back and contemplate hwat is and
what could be and all the rest. IMHO such a "contemplating" time is
necessary to keep the whole picture in focus.

The problems with 12-months have also been pointed out and I agree
with them (too long out of public focus, too long for the main
userland applications, etc.).

The 9-months seem to be a compromise - but I start to ask why we need
such a fixed statement (which it would be, once published). We need a
schedule for each cycle, that's true. Without a schedule we would
never finish anything. But how about taking 9 months only as a "nice
to meet" target, leaving us the option to set a roadmap after setting
the specs of the next release - we could then go for a 8 or 10 months
roadmap, depending on the specs.

This being said, I am a friend of a rolling release like ArchLinux,
but I fear that our main target group is not up to this. Despite of
having to "burn yet another DVD" as somebody pointed out, the majority
seems to see this as normal and a good way. Of course I may be totally
wrong with this assessment!

--
wobo