[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Lee Forest lee8oi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:30:57 CEST 2011

I like the idea of releasing when ready. Its done when the team thinks its
ready and not because its being demanded by end users. In Linux Mint this
does alot of good because of having to clean up after ubuntu so much. The
releases are much more stable and polished. The way clement lefabre likes
it. And everyone who uses it is usually satisfied with the end product.
As for being in the news more, we dont have to put out a release just to be
able blog about whats going on in the mageia community and remind everyone
why mageia is special. But this must be the case because theres rarely any
new news posted in mageia blog unless a release is coming out. Thats getting
about as lame as these messages in this mailing list telling people they
sent their message to the mailing list wrong.
What is this distro really about? One upping mandriva and following the same
mechanical routines they did to piss you guys off, or building a real
community distribution of gnu/linux that cares more about keeping in touch
with the community than they do about the way someone new sent a mailing
list message. Theres more to a linux community then mailing lists.
At first I was excited about using mageia, and being a part of the
community. Now im dissappointed because I see how you treat people that are
not on the team. Basically like their opinions
(that you ask for) dont matter, and you are only concerned with the proper
submission of mailing lists messages. Get someone on the blogs and start
talking to the rest of the community the way they deserve. I agree with the
gentleman leaving the mailing list. This isn't worth sticking around for.
Time to remember why you started mageia in the first place.
On Jun 13, 2011 12:51 PM, "Ron" <corbintechboy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I will say my part and I'm gone...
> I don't understand why everyone is acting like a rolling release is going
to put so much strain on the project. What is so hard about developing in
one place and allowing the updates to trickle down is so hard?
> It almost seems to me that you want to ask the opinion of people, but
don't want to hear.
> And what is this posting here? I don't even know how to use this thing and
yet I had to signup to get my voice heard because this is the way you want
to do things? I don't understand where the whole community fits into this
here right now, I think I actually say a lot when I say that many people
want a rolling release.... It just seems the developers will have the way
here... Why ask in the first place? Really?
> I am leaving the list and sorry about the HTML in my emails, must be a
yahoo thing because I did not use HTML... Again I don't know how to use this
thing and should not have been forced to.
> I would also say that I, for 1 will not be staying if you are going to do
a release cycle only... I have loads of options if I just want snapshots of
what's going on in the Linux world.... Arch gives me so much more and I had
hopes of switching to this with a release model that made sense... But it
seems we won't and we will just become yet another XXX release cycle
distribution with no clear anything that sets us apart from X.
> On you, I'm gone and thanks for hearing me and sorry if my postings were
done wrong....