[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:12:21 CEST 2011

2011/6/13 Lee Forest <lee8oi at gmail.com>:
> I like the idea of releasing when ready. Its done when the team thinks its
> ready and not because its being demanded by end users.

Yes. in a world without users this is the best solution. But there are
users. Giving them a "when it's ready" as release date opens doors for
all kinds of questions about this "it's ready", like, "how can you say
it's ready when package foo is not included in it's newest version?"

> As for being in the news more, we dont have to put out a release just to be
> able blog about whats going on in the mageia community and remind everyone
> why mageia is special. But this must be the case because theres rarely any
> new news posted in mageia blog unless a release is coming out.

Oh, you haven't read the blog for some time? The blog is about what we
do, there was a release coming up on June 1st, so during pre-release
time the blog was mainly about the release. But there have been a lot
of other articles, if you miss a certain subject, tell us what you
want to read about.

> Thats getting
> about as lame as these messages in this mailing list telling people they
> sent their message to the mailing list wrong.

Yes, it is a PITA that such messages seem to be needed again and again
to keep the flow of mails readable in a thread.

> At first I was excited about using mageia, and being a part of the
> community. Now im dissappointed because I see how you treat people that are
> not on the team. Basically like their opinions
> (that you ask for) dont matter, and you are only concerned with the proper
> submission of mailing lists messages. Get someone on the blogs and start
> talking to the rest of the community the way they deserve. I agree with the
> gentleman leaving the mailing list. This isn't worth sticking around for.
> Time to remember why you started mageia in the first place.

A community has almost as many different ideas and answers as the
number of people involved. So it may be that one who gives his opinion
gets replies with different opinions - this is called "discussions".

The side question here was why Ron did not write his opinion in the
thread where the rest of the discussion already took place. I would
think this is a reasonable request to make it easier for those who
will have the task of gathering all the opinions - to do just what you
say we are neglecting. The remark about proper posting style was just
a remark to keep the flow of discussion easy to follow, also a
reasonable request.

In an ideal world the person in question would have followed the
remarks and kept up advocating his opinion where all others are
discussing the matter. But if somebody prefers to put such reasonable
requests in front instead, so be it.

--
wobo