[Mageia-dev] gmane

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Jun 14 18:17:15 CEST 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:09:23 +0200
Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
wrote:

>  - gmane is clumsy, slow - my tests last September/October reveilled
> that with an active list you see 2 replies in the list before the
> initial mail is available in gmane. So, people using gmane for posting
> will always be behind and may destroy a thread or reply to already
> obsolete points. There were also missing mails in the middle of
> threads which made it unusable for me.

My experience with gmane is different. Yes it lags a bit but usually by
a couple of minutes. Unless you want to use your mailing-list as some
kind of real-time communication channel (you shouldn't ;-)), this is ok.

gmane's Web UI is not great but its NNTP gateway, OTOH, works fine for
me, both for reading and posting, using claws-mail as my NNTP client.

And the fact that it doesn't ask you to sign for any kind of account is
really nice.

Regards

Antoine.