[Mageia-dev] forum/mailing list project

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:09:23 CEST 2011

2011/6/14 Lee Forest <lee8oi at gmail.com>:
> Mailing lists and forums I guess both have drawbacks and advantages. I am
> sorry if I sounded biased, and was off topic. I still think some kind of
> innovative new messaging/forum/blog/mailing list reimagining sounds like a
> fun project. But I do understand its not a feasible option right now for
> mageia. I definitly think im gonna ponder this more. I do have experience in
> php and other web related languages. Again sorry I was off topic in the
> other thread, and thanks for the healthy debate. Its refreshing to hear some
> brutal honesty and sense. If anyone is interested in talking more about this
> I would certainly be grateful for some constructive criticism from such a
> knowledgable group. I hope I did this right. Trying to make it a new topic.

/me thinks there is not much to debate. As already mentioned, all
reasons in favour and against both platforms have been laid on the
table for the zillionth time without ever changing by even one single
character.

Yes, a bridging tool is the only solution. Unfortunately I haven't
seen a real working two-way bridge yet. This would only be possible if
the number and names of the available mailing lists would match the
available sections in the forum.

 - gmane is clumsy, slow - my tests last September/October reveilled
that with an active list you see 2 replies in the list before the
initial mail is available in gmane. So, people using gmane for posting
will always be behind and may destroy a thread or reply to already
obsolete points. There were also missing mails in the middle of
threads which made it unusable for me.

 - the very nice bridge tux99 offers as a working model on
http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/ (down at the moment) turned out to
be fast and reliable during tests. Integrated into a forum, the forum
users can participate in all mailing list discussions, but the mailing
list people do not see any discussions which take place in other parts
of the forum.

Of course there are other half-way solutions for people not inclined
to participate in discussion, only wanting to follow threads - you can
always use the archives of the mailing lists and the rsa of the forum.

What did I forget here?

--
wobo