[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 20:23:53 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> and shouldn't be used
>> to bring the half of your system up to date.
>
> The word "stable release" implies "doesn't change much"; so a new
> version of vlc or wine isn't a problem, but don't put "updating to
> GNOME3 or KDE 4.8 in Mageia 1" and "stable" in the same sentence, they
> don't fit..... such _huge_ changes need to happen in a development
> release so that the niggles (which are bound to show up) can be ironed
> out so that the distro becomes "stable" and ready to be released
> (Mageia 2).

I agree this could be a way to do it, which would maybe scare less
some people of the "so-feared rolling", but there still would need a
way to update "simply" one's installation without having to download a
big iso with 90% in it we won't care in an upgrade (where we have
updated most of the other packages, non critical, periodically through
rolling release).

I think it is so insane so many distributions are still with an
"update by CD" logics (even though it is partly modernized with
dropping the iso into an usb stick, or even simply mounting it
directly, I think that is still so backwards that this is the major
advertized way to do it).

Jehan