[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:33:11 CEST 2011

2011/6/14 Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> and shouldn't be used
>>> to bring the half of your system up to date.
>>
>> The word "stable release" implies "doesn't change much"; so a new
>> version of vlc or wine isn't a problem, but don't put "updating to
>> GNOME3 or KDE 4.8 in Mageia 1" and "stable" in the same sentence, they
>> don't fit..... such _huge_ changes need to happen in a development
>> release so that the niggles (which are bound to show up) can be ironed
>> out so that the distro becomes "stable" and ready to be released
>> (Mageia 2).
>
> I agree this could be a way to do it, which would maybe scare less
> some people of the "so-feared rolling", but there still would need a
> way to update "simply" one's installation without having to download a
> big iso with 90% in it we won't care in an upgrade (where we have
> updated most of the other packages, non critical, periodically through
> rolling release).
>
> I think it is so insane so many distributions are still with an
> "update by CD" logics (even though it is partly modernized with
> dropping the iso into an usb stick, or even simply mounting it
> directly, I think that is still so backwards that this is the major
> advertized way to do it).
>
> Jehan

You're mixing cards here, I am talking about users running Mageia 1
and using backports, not about full distro upgrade.

A full distro upgrade, e.g. from Mageia 1 to 2, is supported and gets
refined as much as possible before release (the same way the upgrade
from mdv 2010.1 to mga1 was refined to ease the upgrades).

--
Ahmad Samir