[Mageia-dev] Update of backport, policy proposal

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Sun Jun 26 18:51:39 CEST 2011

> Well, in principle this is correct, not in this case as I have
> explained as a very common example. You can decide whatever you want,
> if a user wants a certain package and his friend will pack it for him
> and puts it up on a server, publishing the existence - then you will
> see what happens. You know by experience how popular such 3rd-party
> repos can become (see MIB, MUD), just because somebody had a different
> view than the official view.
> In short: no matter what is more important or not, you have to find a
> compromise between the (understandable) search for optimal workflow,
> security on one side and the real world of the users on the other. I
> think, the key here is non-technical communication of the
> circumstances, like "why we can't have foo 1.2 as backport from
> Cauldron to Mageia 1".
Well I'm one who backports what he needs, doesn't mean all, just what needs.
I always enable backports, and i know often how to go on if a backport was
broken. That's not a point though.
I can't see why people that want last release of all must trust 3rd-party
repos and do not mageia(or mandriva) backport one... it's really hard to me.

I think we can, as said by someone, release all as updates, but we can also
consider to have a tested and reliable backport repository (call as you wish
maybe "next" or "after" :) ) but the real concept to me is that we should
have the availability to get new sw or version of a sw in a repository that
could be different than updates, *could* because case by case we could
consider to add them in updates and in any case that should be reliable,
no breakages, no regressions.

We talked about patches, and sometime we could patch sw, but sometime
it's hard, and updates with an upgrade of such a sw should be the best
thing to do.

Cheers,
--
	Angelo